Classic and Used Fly Fishing Tackle, Books, and other Paraphernalia for Sale
Fly fishing Tackle, Books, and other Paraphernalia for Sale
Click on thumbnails for larger pictures. Additional pictures upon request. If you reside in the lower 48 United States, the shipping cost for rods runs from $10.00 – 15.00 (depending upon length and whether or not rod needs PVC tube). The shipping cost for reels is $6.00. Single book shipping is $3.00 for media mail and $5.00 for priority, unless otherwise marked. If you live outside of the US, please ask for shipping rates. Trades, PayPal, money orders, and checks (pending clearance) accepted. Price negotiations and trades welcome. Check back often, as I lower prices periodically. Also, let me know if there is something in particular for which you are looking. Contact me at email@example.com. International orders are welcome.
© Kenneth H. Lokensgard, 2009-2015.
1. Loop “Model 3W, made in Sweden by Danielsson. “Original 3W,” rated for 8-12 wt lines. Very good condition. No case. Line not included. $150.00.
2. Hardy “Cascapedia” MK II 5/6/7. Well-made s-handle reel. Very good condition. Modern “selvyt” style drawstring bag included. Line not included. $250.00.
3. Pfueger “Progress” 60 skeleton reel. Gunmetal finish (with some brass showing) and wooden handle. Comes with backing and LL Bean waxed cotton reel case. Line not included. $45.00.
4. Unmarked Leonard style, raised pillar reel (CAPS “Sygnet 34”). Unused. Capacity for DT3F line, plus 50 yds of backing. Caliper check. Comes with original drawstring bag. $65.00.
1. Sage “RPLX.” 9′. Line 12. Custom wrapped, marked “Emily Zeiders” (former owner of Yellow Breeches Outfitters in Boiling Springs, PA). Excellent condition. Nonoriginal bag, no tube. $50.00.
2. Wright & McGill Eagle Claw “Trailmaster, No TRP 600-7 1/2 Ft Spin/Fly” combination fiberglass pack rod. Four pieces. Excellent condition, with original bag and tube. Bag is dirty but otherwise undamaged. $35.00.
3. Highest quality, custom built fiberglass and graphite fly rods. Visit Xander Flyrods. I can personally attest to the high quality of the builds and the fine character of the rod builder.
Books and other Printed Materials:
1. Arnold Gingrich, The Fishing in Print: A Guided Tour Through Five Centuries of Angling Literature (New York: Winchester Press, 1974). First edition. Hard cover. Very good condition. Minor discoloration to spine and edges of cover. Otherwise fine. $30.00.
This text remains one of the greatest explorations of English language angling literature. Gingrich was the founding editor of Esquire magazine, the publisher of Hemingway and others, and an exceptional writer himself.
2. Harry Middleton, The Earth is Enough: Growing up in a World of Flyfishing, Trout, and Old Men, with a foreword by Russell Chatham (Boulder: Pruett Publishing Company, 1996). Soft cover. Fine condition. Very minor marks to cover from shelf wear. Otherwise, completely clean, crisp, and unmarked. Very good condition. $10.00.
Middleton remains one of the few authors to write about fly fishing in the South East, particularly in The Smokey Mountains. He is also one of the sport’s most celebrated writers, and his early departure from this world has been greatly lamented by many. This moving book is a memoir of his childhood and of his introduction to fly fishing in the Ozark Mountains.
3. Joe Brooks, Complete Book of Fly Fishing, Revised and Updated Edition (Outdoor Life, 1968). Seventh Printing, hardcover with dust jacket. Good condition. Minor damage to dj on spine and 2 corners, some minor fading from shelf wear. $9.00 shipped.
4. John Gierach, Sex, Death, and Fly-Fishing (Simon and Schuster Paperbacks, 1990). Paperback. As new condition. $6.00 shipped.
5. John Gierach, Even Brook Trout get the Blues (Fireside, 1992). Paperback. Very good condition. Owner’s name inside, otherwise fine. $6.00 shipped.
6. David James Duncan, The River Why, 25th Anniversary Edition (Sierra Club Books, 2002). As new condition. $10.00 shipped.
7. Charles Ritz, A Fly Fisher’s Life: The Art and Mechanics of Fly Fishing (New York, MJF Books, 1996). Hardback. Very good condition. Owner’s name inside, pen markings on p.54, small tear on spine of dust jacket. $10.00 shipped.
Reprint of classic text, including both technical and narrative sections, by hotelier, rod designer, acclaimed caster Charles Ritz.
8. Pennsylvania Angler magazine, “Trout Issue,” Vol. 33, No. 4 (April 1964). Good condition. Small tear in cover, some wrinkling due to moisture. $5.00 shipped.
Articles by George Harvey, S.R. Slaymaker, Ned Smith, and other Pennsylvania “greats.” Published by the Pennsylvania Fish Commission.
9. The Classic Chronicle: A Quarterly Newsletter for Classic Tackle Collectors and Fly Fishermen. Very good condition. Spring, 1999. $5.00 shipped.
From Centennial Classic Sales in Grand Junction, Colorado. 36 pages of classic tackle descriptions and prices.
10. Trout and Salmon magazine, Vol. 18, No. 212 (February 1973). Good condition. Some fading on spine. $10.00 shipped.
Classic UK magazine with emphasis upon fly fishing. This issue includes articles such as “Great Fly-Rods-1: The Rod that Leonard built,” by Donald Overfield, and “The Art of Fly Imitation,” by Eric Hornsfall Turner. The magazine is packed with period advertising from Hardy, Sportmail, Barbour, Farlow, Sharpe, and more.
11. Trout and Salmon magazine, Vol. 19, No. 221 (November 1973). Good condition. Some fading on spine. $10.00 shipped.
Classic UK magazine with emphasis upon fly fishing. This issue includes articles such as “Grayling as the Days grow Shorter,” by Alex Novell, and “Is Long Casting Over-rated?,” by John Poole. The magazine is packed with period advertising from Dermot Wilson, Bruce and Walker, John Veniard Publications, Barbour, and many more.
Other (ask for shipping costs, if not provided):
1. Wheatley Fly Box 4602. 6″ x 3.5″ x 1.5″ black swing-leaf aluminum box with slotted foam. Made in England. New with box and Wheatley certificate. Some shelf wear. $50.00.
2. Wheatley Fly Box 1609. 6″ x 3.5″ x 1.625″ silver aluminium box with 32 compartments. Older box. Made in England. Contains flies. Window springs are rusted and a few are broken. Make an offer (a low one).
3. Scott Fly Rods promotional sign. Reads “High Performance SCOTT Handcrafted Fly Rods” on one side. 10 1/4 x 18 inches. $25.00.
4. Framed “Brotherhood of the Jungle Cock” postcard and patch. Postcard reads, “Statue Dedicated by Brotherhood of the Jungle Cock, Hunting Creek, Thurmont, MD, May 23, 1953.” Patch reads “Brotherhood of the Jungle Cock, Organized Maryland 1940.” Frame measure approximately 10 1/8 by 12 1/8 inches. Wonderful collectible. $45.00.
6. DVD: Tube Flies for Steelhead, with Rick Kustich. From the case: “In Tube Flies for Steelhead, veteran angler Rick Kustich examines the benefits of tubes while tying proven patterns for both West Coast and Great Lakes Rivers.” 2007. Excellent condition. $5.00 shipped (MSRP $21.95).
7. Columbia fishing vest. Very good condition. Size small. $10.00 shipped.
8. O’Neill River Systems shoulder bag. Roomy, heavy cordura bag with numerous internal and external pockets. Good condition. $15.00 shipped.
Martin “Model 65.” Made in America. Simple caliper check that can be engaged and disengaged. Very good condition. Includes good WF5F line, original box, and papers. $9.00. SOLD
J. Austen Forbes “Avon” spring and pawl reel. OD 2 7/16″. Marked “Made in England” (from what I understand, Forbes reels were made from J.W. Young parts). Comes with papers and waxed cotton zip-pouch from L.L. Bean (the reel was not sold with a pouch). Also has half of an Orvis DT4F line and plenty of backing. Very good condition. $95.00. SOLD
Hardy “Princess.” Latest model. As new, used once. Very minor scuffing on the reel foot from having been mounted on a rod. Otherwise perfect. Comes with original box, papers (minus warranty card, though I’ve never had a problem sending nonwarrantied items to Hardy for repair) and neoprene case. Line not included. $175.00. SOLD
Hardy “Featherweight.” Single-screw line-guard, made-in-England model. Marked “Hardy Bros Ltd.” In very good, used condition. Some rim wear. Also, minor paint loss on face of frame, near reel foot (see picture). Mechanically perfect. Strong, reversible check. No case (though I can supply recent pouch or neoprene case from Hardy). $200.00. SOLD
Hardy “Featherweight.” Latest model. In excellent, used condition. Very minor scuffing on reel foot from mounting. Very slight wear on rims (the finish is not worn through, as it appears on the pictures; that is only reflected light). One small scratch on the backside of the cage, bottom edge (as seen in picture). Comes with original box, papers (minus warranty card, though I’ve never had a problem sending nonwarrantied items to Hardy for repair) and neoprene case. $145.00. SOLD
Thomas & Thomas “Classic” (early Ross Reels “Gunnison G-3”) and spare spool. Orignal, T&T marked, leather draw-string pouches for both reel and spare spool. Some minor marking on rear of frame and on rim. Unknown line included. $150.00. SOLD
Caps “Airedale”/Fishon “Bear Cub” raised pillar fly reel (unmarked). Excellent condition. Unlined. $30.00. SOLD
Pflueger “Medalist” 1494 DA, made in Akron, OH. Comes with all One-Pfoot modifications available, installed by One-Pfoot original owner, Bill Franke. Some very, very minor rim wear, and very minor chipping around line guard (as a result of its installation). This is one of the very last reels upon which Bill worked. $160.00. SOLD
Pflueger “Medalist” 1492, made in Akron, OH. The reel has its original sculpted pillars. It has been repainted. Note painting imperfections in picture of reel’s back plate. Otherwise original. This is a usable reel, but it is also a good source of parts. A single replacement part from One-Pfoot will cost as much as the reel. $15.00. SOLD
Hardy “LRH Lightweight.” Made in England. Early model with ribbed foot and early version of the “L-shaped” line guard. Fair condition. Mechanically perfect (including new pawls), but the finish is very worn. Having looked at this reel closely with a magnifying glass, I am sure there is no corrosion. Regardless, it is very much a “user” reel. Comes with Sage Quiet DT5F line in excellent condition. No case or papers, but I have new Hardy neoprene cases and “selvyt” style pouches available. A spare spool alone, from this era, will cost you as much. $50.00. SOLD
Orvis soft draw-string reel pouch. Good condition (no holes, no tears, etc.). 6½ x 5¼”. SOLD
Sage (J.W. Young) “Model 106,” made in England. Good condition. Some scuffing on spool rim. Sage logo is mostly worn off. Comes with very good WF6F line (probably Cortland 444). Nonoriginal case included. $40.00. SOLD
Shakespeare (J.W. Young) “Speedex” multiplier, wide spool. Good condition. $20.00. SOLD
J.W. Young “3530” multiplier, narrow spool. Metal and nylon drag gears. Very good condition. $50.00. SOLD
J.W. Young “Condex,” with original box. Good condition. $45.00. SOLD
JW Young 3 ½ inch “Beaudex.” Good condition. $60.00. SOLD
Lamson “LP 4.” Excellent condition. Papers and non-original, suede case included. Line (marked Cortland 444 SL, WF-10-I), also included. $135.00. SOLD
Pflueger “Medalist” 1495 ½ (made in Akron, USA). Very good condition. Padded case included. $35.00. SOLD
Orvis “Madison III,” made in England. No case. Good condition. Unmarked line included. $35.00. SOLD
Orvis “Battenkill” 7/8 Disc and spare spool, made in England. Original case (marked “7/8” on side) and pouch. Very good condition. No lines included. $110.00. SOLD
Orvis “Battenkill” 8/9 Disc and spare spool, made in England. Original case. Line (marked W F-9-I) included. Very good condition. $125.00. SOLD
Orvis “Battenkill” Large Arbor III and spare spool, made in England. Original case. Line (marked WF-6-F) included. Excellent condition (possibly unused). Spare spool, with original case, and unmarked sinking line included. $145.00. SOLD
Orvis “Battenkill Multiplier” 8/9 Disc, made in England. Excellent condition. Original case and line (marked WF-9-I) included. Spare spool, with original case, and line included. $200.00. SOLD
Ross Reels “Cimarron 1” (standard arbor) . Very good condition. Original box, neoprene case, and Ross Reels line tender included. Line not included. Some minor marks on frame rim. $80.00. SOLD
Thomas & Thomas “Classic” (early Ross Reels “Gunnison G-2”) and spare spool. Zippered pouch for reel, original draw-string pouch for spare spool. Some marking on rear of frame, faintly painted “5 wt” on top of reel foot (where it will not be seen while in use), otherwise in very good condition. Unknown 5 wt line included. $150.00. SOLD
Ross Reels “The Colorado 2” and spare spool. Very good condition. Original boxes, reel pouch, extra drag springs, Ross Reels line tender, and additional Ross Reels neoprene case included. Line not included. Some minor rubbing on bottom of frame rim. $120.00. SOLD
Ross Reels Worldwide “Flywater 3.” Very good condition. Original case and Ross Reels line tender included. No box. WF 7 F line, in good shape, included. “Flywater” logo rubbing off from storage, otherwise perfect condition. $40.00. SOLD
Scientific Anglers Systems 2L, 67L. Classic disc drag reel. Excellent condition. Minor marking on reel foot. No case. $60.00. SOLD
Early Cortland “Crown,” made in England. Very good condition; just one paint scrape on spool rim. Comes with good Cortland “Peach” line, probably WF5F. Nonoriginal case included. $25.00. Please request better pictures if desired. SOLD
Orvis Superfine “Far and Fine.” 7’9″. 5 line. 2 piece. Made as a “staggered ferrule” rod. Tip seems to be down 1 inch (rod measures 7’8″). Original sock and tube. Very minor scuffing on tube and tube label. Another Orvis classic. $100.00. SOLD
Orvis Graphite “Green Mountain.” 8’3″. 7 line. 2 piece. Original green tube, no sock. Rod is down 1 1/2 inches. Still a good caster. $20.00. SOLD
Orvis Graphite, “Green Mountain.” 9′. 8 line. 2 piece. Good condition. Comes with matching Orvis cordura rod/reel case. $45.00. SOLD
Thomas & Thomas “HS908S.” 9′. Line 8. 2 piece. Marked “Demo.” Excellent condition. Nonoriginal bag, no tube. $95.00. SOLD
Cabelas “Custom Glass Rod, CRG 570-3.” 7′. 4/5 line. 3 piece. Mint, unused. $75.00. SOLD
Silstar “Westminster Fly” boron rod. 8″. 6/7 line. Small crack in top wrap. 1/2 ” short, but seems to have been made this way. Beautiful rod. Good condition, some wear. Nonoriginal sock, no tube. $100.00 SOLD.
LL. Bean “Double L.” 8’6″. 6 line. 4 piece. Original cordura tube and sock. Very good condition. $95.00 or make an offer. This is a great, American made rod. SOLD
Scott “STS” 804/4.” 8′. 4 line. 4 pieces. Spigot ferrules with good clearance. Orignal sock and cordura tube. Good condition. Some anodization rubbed off from reel seat. $145.00. No warranty card. SOLD
March Brown Ltd. “Hidden Water 906-7.” 9′. 6 line. 7 pieces. Original cordura tube (pull on zipper broken, but functional) and sock. Good condition. No warranty card. $60.00. SOLD
G. Loomis “IMX” (FR 1148-4 IMX). 9′, 6″. 8 line. 4 pieces. Wooden spacer on reel seat (not for saltwater). Original bag and cordura tube included. Marked for “Bill Kennedy” on butt section. Very good condition. $140.00 SOLD
Orvis Superfine “Tippet.” 7’6″. 3 line. 2 piece. Rod is in excellent condition, with original sock and tube. Some scuffing to tube and tube label. An Orvis classic. $175.00. SOLD
Orvis Graphite, “Advantage.” 9’, 3”. 7 line. 2 piece. Staggered ferrule. Good condition. Original tube and sock included. $60.00. SOLD
Orvis Graphite, “Western Series.” 8’,6”. 2 line. 4 piece. Original tube and sock. Very good condition. $100.00. SOLD
Fenwick “Feralite, FF756.” 7 1/2′. Line 6. No tube or sock (rod will be shipped in PVC tube). Rod is in good, used condition. $90.00. Please request better pictures if desired. SOLD
Fenwick “Feralite FF70.” Original tube and sock (with previous owner’s name on tag). Rod is in very good condition, though missing butt cap. $80.00. SOLD
Fenwick “Fenglass FF765-2.” Original bag and tube. Near mint condition. Note dent in tube. Also, rod has been assembled and reel has been fitted on seat. $100.00. SOLD
Eddie Bauer “Fly-and-Spin” rod, made by Orvis. 7′. HCF (7) line. 4 piece. Nonoriginal sock, no tube. Very good condition. SOLD
Books and Printed Materials Sold:
Reuben R. Cross, The Complete Fly Tier (Rockville Centre: Freshet Press, 1971). Hard cover with dust jacket (with mylar cover). Fine condition. Minor shelf wear to DJ, very minor yellowing to outside edges of pages from age. Otherwise, completely clean, crisp, and unmarked. Very good condition. $50.00. SOLD
Andrew Herd, The Fly: Two Thousand Years of Fly Fishing (The Medlar Press, 2003). Soft cover. As new. SOLD
Other Items Sold:
“One-Pfoot” Pflueger Medalist spool latch cover. $17.00. SOLD
Hardy leather and canvas fly wallet. Sheepskin interior. Brand new. $30.00. Two available. SOLD
Large Hardy “D Block” Leather Reel Case. Recent manufacture. Almost new. $115.00. SOLD
Hardy blue and cream zippered case for reels. 4¼” diameter. Don’t know for which reel it was made, but it fits a Hardy Princess. Good condition (reflected light in picture makes case look dirtier), no tears around zipper. $20.00. SOLD
Hardy leather and canvas fly wallet. Sheepskin interior. Brand new. $35.00. SOLD
Scott Fly Rods promotional banner. Reads “High Performance Fly Rods, Scott, Telluride, Colorado.” Approximately 25 x 12 inches. $30.00. SOLD
Okuma fly box, with six window compartments and foam in the lid. 3 1/2″ x 2 3/8″ x 1.” In very good, used condition. $9.00 shipped. SOLD
Richard Wheatley “1609” 32 compartment fly box. These are often described as the “Rolls Royces” of fly boxes. Current models retail for $195.50 new. This older box is in excellent condition. The compartment windows all function. There is some wear to the finish, but the box is otherwise in excellent condition. $70.00. SOLD
Filson “Tin Cruiser Vest.” New. Size 46. $65.00. SOLD
Orvis rod bag for 2 piece, 8 ft rod (2/1). Very good condition. $8.00 shipped. SOLD
Orvis Game Bag (c. 1970s). Main compartment: 14″x3″x11.” 3 exterior pockets, one interior half-packet. Very good condition. No tears. $80.00. SOLD
Orvis cordura rod carrier. Very good condition. 56 inches long. Can fit 4 or more rods in their tubes. Features two large pockets on the outside, carrying strap, etc. Great for 2 piece and 3 piece glass and bamboo rods. $40.00. SOLD
Fishpond “Waterdance Guide Pack.” Lumbar pack. Very good condition. $75.00. SOLD
Fishpond large “Sweetwater” reel case. Excellent condition. $20.00. SOLD
Jim Vincent’s RIO “Fly Line Winder (case, spool, and crank included). Excellent condition. $14.00 shipped first class. This is a great, compact way to carry an extra line, and much more durable than the current RIO winding and storage system. SOLD
“Bunyan Bug” fly, tied by Richard Rose, grandson of Norman “Paul Bunyan” Means.” Means is the originator of the fly. Both he and the Bunyan Bug feature in Norman Maclean’s A River Runs through It. $33.00 shipped. SOLD
Hardy Neoprene Reel Cases. Very good condition. $14.00 each, shipped first class. SOLD
Fishpond “Road Trip” fly tying kit. Excellent condition. $65.00. SOLD
Simms Dry Creek Hip Pack. Simms Orange. Used. $50.00. SOLD
Abel combination backpack and chestpack. Excellent condition. Very nice, US made packs. $110.00. SOLD
Cortland chest pack. $30.00. SOLD
Wood River waist tackle bag. $13.00. SOLD
L.L. Bean large neoprene reel pouch. $4.00 shipped first class. SOLD
Orvis drawstring reel pouch. $4.00 shipped first class. SOLD
Orvis plastic leader wallet. Excellent Condition. $4.00 shipped first class. SOLD
Orvis plastic leader wallet. Excellent condition. Includes old mono leaders and 2 packs of Eagle Claw “leader links.” $5.00 shipped first class. SOLD